Accounting, Tax, IRS & Marijuana

IRS Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft

There was an increase in identity theft in the 2015 filing tax season. If you received notices from the IRS regarding your identity being stolen you can look to the following guide for help: From the IRS website at

IRS - Identity Theft Help At a Glance

If your SSN has been compromised, take these steps: — File a police report

— File an FTC complaint

— Contact one of the three credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your account:

— Close any financial accounts opened without your permission. — Respond immediately to any IRS notice, according to instructions.

— Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit.

— Continue to file your tax return, even if by paper.

 Other Resources